The Top Ten Most Entertaining Questions Tourists Have Asked On Schooners
This past summer I spent some time with the schooner bums down on the Camden wharf and collected a few of the best questions tourists have ever asked. None of these have been made up. They are actual questions.
1. “How do you get the boats to all point in the same direction?”
2. “What do you do with the islands in the winter?”
3. “How many sunset sails do you do in a day?”
4. “How long is your two-hour tour?”
5. (Pointing to the mainland, from where they’d just sailed out of.)
“What town is that?”
6. “What time are we going to get to see the whales?”
7. “What’s the difference between salt water and fresh water?”
8. “Is this an island surrounded by water?”
9. (To a 25-year-old deck hand after a tourist asked how old she was)
“Were you on the maiden voyage of 1978?”
10. (After taking pictures of the passengers and announcing that the pictures would be available at the souvenir store on the wharf.)
“How will we know which photos are ours?”
Bonus question because it was too good to leave off the list. And because this is a line also featured in The Ghost Trap.
“What time of year do the deer turn into moose?”
Columns and news about the subculture of Maine lobstering.